Is Blocking HRes36 For Benghazi A Qualification?
Doing a little research this morning I looked up Speaker Boehners Committee Chairmen for the 113th Congress. Of the 19 Committee Chairs, 14 were blocking House Resolution 36 for a Benghazi Select Committee. The ones blocking are marked with an asterisk (*)
GOP House Committee Chairmen For 113th Congress
* Appropriations – Rep. Hal Rogers (R-KY)
* Armed Services – Rep. Howard “Buck” McKeon (R-CA)
* Budget – Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI)
* Education and the Workforce – Rep. John Kline (R-MN)
* Energy and Commerce – Rep. Fred Upton (R-MI)
* Financial Services – Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-TX)
* Foreign Affairs – Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA)
* Intelligence – Rep. Mike Rogers (R-MI)
* Judiciary – Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA)
* Natural Resources – Rep. Doc Hastings (R-WA)
* Oversight and Government Reform – Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA)
* Rules – Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX)
* Science, Space, and Technology – Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX)
* Veterans’ Affairs – Rep. Jeff Miller (R-FL)
Agriculture – Rep. Frank Lucas (R-OK)
Homeland Security – Rep. Mike McCaul (R-TX)
Small Business – Rep. Sam Graves (R-MO)
Transportation and Infrastructure – Rep. Bill Shuster (R-PA)
Ways and Means – Rep. Dave Camp (R-MI)
Now looking into Speaker Boehner’s House Leadership Team for the 113th Congress, 9 of 11 are blocking HRes36. They are marked with an asterisk (*)
GOP Leadership Team For 113th Congress
* Speaker of the House: Rep. John Boehner (R-OH) | @SpeakerBoehner
* Majority Leader: Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA) | @GOPLeader
* Majority Whip: Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) | @GOPWhip
* Conference Chairman: Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) | @CathyMcMorris
* NRCC Chairman: Rep. Greg Walden (R-OR) | @RepGregWalden
* Policy Committee Chairman: Rep. James Lankford (R-OK) @RepLankford
* Conference Vice-Chair: Rep. Lynn Jenkins (R-KS) |@RepLynnJenkins
* Conference Secretary: Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-NC) | @virginiafoxx
* Rules Committee Chairman: Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX) | @PeteSessions
Sophomore Representative: Rep. Tim Scott (R-SC) | @RepTimScott
Freshman Representative: Rep.-elect Ann Wagner (R-MO)
Analyzing the above data, it appears that if you are selected by Speaker Boehner for a GOP Leadership position or GOP Chairmanship, one of the qualifications is that you are to support lock-step, anything he proposes. Certainly he has exerted his will on the House leaders to not support HRes36 proposed by Rep. Frank Wolf and it seems to be working.
As of Sept. 16, 2013 – 174 GOP Representatives have signed on to co-sponsor HRes36 for a Benghazi Select Committee. All of the Representatives listed above with an asterisk (*) are supporting Speaker Boehner and BLOCKING HRes36.
GOP House Resolution 36 Hold-Outs (9/16/13)
A complete list of the 59 hold-outs can be found at Justice For Benghazi 4
It appears that loyalty to Speaker Boehner trumps loyalty to US Americans and to the Benghazi dead. Just my opinion. You will have to draw your own conclusions.
Stan is the Senior Editor for StanHjerleid.com. He is a Tea Party Conservative and very concerned about the future of America. He is a Navy Veteran having served aboard the destroyer USS Laffey for 4 years. For the last 12 years he co-owns with his wife, Happy Cat Retreat, a cat boarding facility. He has owned 2 photography studios for 12 years and worked as an IT Specialist for 14 years. He loves animals and raises parrots in his spare time. He is also an avid road bicyclist and motorcyclist.